My name’s Durdlin and I have a problem.
It’s my 30th birthday and I don’t know how I feel about it.
I don’t know how I feel about it because I feel too many things at once.
- I should be more excited about it because it’s a ‘special milestone’
- I should be less excited about it because it’s ‘just another day’
- pressured to have the best birthday ever
- guilty that I haven’t done those Things You Should Do Before You Turn Thirty*
- absolutely thrilled that I’m too sensible to have done These Things You Should Try Before You Turn Thirty#
- really happy with my life right now thanks very much
- slightly panicked that time marches inexorably on
- excited about the increasing number of gray hairs I have
- proud about what I’ve achieved so far, big and small
- like I’m growing into myself
- more responsible and trustworthy
- concerned that I’ll turn into an invisible, middle aged woman
- pleased that I’m turning into an invisible, middle aged woman
- like I’m disappointing my friends who enjoy parties
I’m not having a party.
Instead I’ve taken 2 weeks off work and have/will
- spend time with new friends
- spend time with old friends
- spend time with family
- get out of bed when I’m good and ready
- find new things to photograph
- devastate Doctor Octagon with regular cuddle storms
- not worry about money
- not worry about my job
- spend time in the wind and the rain
- savour heartfelt hugs
- laugh ’til I cry
My name is Durdlin.
I’m 30 and I don’t mind.
*Stuff like buy a house, have children, climb a mountain, write a book, etc.
You know the drill.
#Some of the more horrifying ones I found ’round about teh interwebs:
- Depressing: break someone’s heart / visit a strip club
- Frightening: hold a tarantula / get voted into public office
- Unrealistic: pay off all your debt / get cast in a movie
- Irresponsible: bluff your way into a job you’re totally unqualified for / spend a whole pay packet on a pair of shoes / have a fling with a man you know is bad for you
What on earth???