Tonight I played a few rounds of Guess Who with Nahum and Megan.
We had a couple of games using the standard questions, such as , “is your person wearing a hat?” and “does your person have facial hair?” but it was a lot more fun to ask personal, probing questions about the people behind the picture cards and to make value judgments about them.
We played a game where Nahum and I (with help from Megan and Burfit) asked more general questions; the result being that we both ended up with the wrong answer. Some of those questions were:
- are they an accountant?
- might they burn down their office?
- do they own a fruit barn?
- are they a communist?
- could they be a Stepford wife?
- would they prefer to be somewhere else right now?
But the next game we played, after about 3 of 4 questions, we had narrowed our choices down to 1 each. And we were both right. I was gobsmacked.
Apparent ‘facts’ about Matt
- he was not a dork at school
- he has seriously thought about killing someone
- he is not from ‘Ethnicia’
- (There must have been at least one more than this, but I can’t for the life of me think what it might be * ).
Apparent ‘facts’ about Andy
- he’s got lots of children
- he’s not much of a disciplinarian
- he likes football more than cricket
- he is an optimist
What does that say about us, that we made the same assumptions and ended up both guessing correctly?
* Nahum and Megan, if you can remember any other questions we asked, let me know.